Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hope for Kids: Cancer Hospital

For my Service requirement for the IB program I recently signed up for a group activity organized by the school, which is the Hope for Kids: Cancer Hospital. While I am still continuing with my own individual Service outside of school, I needed to join in Service in school to keep up the commitment of hours required. I chose the Cancer Hospital because it is an issue close to my heart since almost all the females in my family are genetically predisposed to having cancer. I also chose it because I know cancer is an issue of global importance yet deals closely with every individual who has had to suffer because of it's affects. At the same time, I can work collaboratively with others, both my own classmates, the staff at the hospital, and the kids who have to be there; however, due to the circumstances that we interact in, I must consider the ethical implications of all my actions since it's a very different environment and therefore interactions must be dictated by the situation at the present moment. I also know that every day I go to the hospital I have to plan new activities with the kids because I'm interacting with a human being whose mood changes and I have to plan and initiate new activities to whatever they want and whatever mood they are in that day. I also know this will be a new challenge for me to undertake because I generally haven't worked closely with children before, so it will be a new learning experience where I develop new skills, and at the same time, as I interact every visit, I will develop more awareness of my own areas of strength and areas that I can grow on.

No comments:

Post a Comment