Monday, September 12, 2011

Reflection

On the weekend the 11th grade left for our trip I was ready to take on some new challenges, but was also a bit worried about whether I would be able to handle everything on so little sleep. Much to the amusement of my room mates, I got plenty of sleep.
I've done rock climbing and belaying before, but I don't enjoy putting my life in other's hands, which is an area I need to work on. The task was real and I enjoyed belaying more then climbing. The consequences were very real because my partner slipped several times and I caught her; I had to be constantly aware of where she was on the rock, where I was in relation to her and where other people were, I also worked on good communication and encouraging her to keep going, but not pushing to hard. I was disappointed I didn't reach the top though, I nearly made it, but simply didn't have the strength at the end; in a way I felt like I let myself down.
Later I worked collaboratively with my group to create the boat out of a box. I wanted to be the one to paddle it, so I was slightly disappointed when I didn't get the chance to, but I understood the reasoning our group had behind putting someone else on.
In the future I need to work on trusting other people, even with my life literally in their hands. If I start small with this and work my way up, it should help. I also hope to try new techniques and harder walls next time I climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment