Sunday, September 18, 2011

Volleyball Tryouts

Over the past couple of weeks I have been going to volleyball tryouts. I really hope I make the team because volleyball means a lot to me and I've been on the team in previous schools so I feel very connected to the sport. We find out if we made the team today, and I'm really excited but really nervous.Our tryouts have been on Tuesday after school, Wednesday mornings (recently added), Friday after school and Saturday mornings, and I've been committed to showing every time. While we have been working as a team, I've been able to understand what skills I need to work on. In the past I've been an outside position, but recently was switched to a setter, which means I have a whole new area of skills I need to work on. This increases my awareness of strengths (outside and hitter) and areas of growth (being able to set the volleyball to different positions and players on the team). I've also developed new skills from this as a setter, which includes the rotational positions and completely different requirements for the team to succeed.
Being a volleyball player on a team requires working collaboratively with others and perseverance and commitment to the activity. I've gotten to know my team mates better and I understand that in order to succeed we need to show up on time to practice, be committed to the sport, and be at each practice.
I really hope I make the team today, because I love volleyball as a sport and hope to be able to continue it and develop even more new skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment